Accountability & Transparency
Please see the web section about the work of NHS Supervisor Dr. Kevin Smith for the latest information.
The Niagara Health System is committed to the highest standards of openness and transparency in everything that we do.
In this section, you will find information on our Board of Directors, financial performance, executive contracts, executive expenses, external reviews, and more. New information is regularly added to this section so please check back often for updates.
About Hospital Accountability
Ontario’s hospitals operate in one of the most demanding healthcare accountability systems in all of Canada. Virtually every aspect of hospitals’ performance is regularly subject to external, independent scrutiny.
In fact, hospitals have initiated or played a key role in shaping most of their stringent accountability measures. Some of Ontario transparency efforts include:
- Reviews by the Auditor General of Ontario
- Publicly reporting of patient safety indicators on every hospitals’ website
- Reporting quality measures on a consumer-oriented website, myhospitalcare.ca
- Hospital Service Accountability Agreements (HSAAs) - pdf download
- Public reporting of wait times through Ontario’s Wait Times Strategy
- Participation in public sector salary disclosure
Embracing the tenets of both the Excellent Care for All Act and the Broader Public Sector Accountability Act that were introduced in 2010, hospitals continue to enhance quality, transparency and accountability in a variety of ways.