The provincial government’s Ministry of Health has announced a new vision for health care in Ontario. A key element of their strategy involves setting up Ontario Health Teams, or OHTs, which the government has defined as groups of care providers and organizations that are clinically and financially accountable for delivering a full and coordinated continuum of care to a defined population.
The goal for the OHTs is a health-care system where patients, clients, families and caregivers can seamlessly transition between services (such as moving in or out of hospital, coordinating home and community care with their family doctor, and transitioning to long term care), as well as having better access to their health care records, and being active partners in care decisions.
The evolution to OHTs is happening in stages. The first stage asked health-care providers and agencies across the province to complete a ‘self-assessment’ on how they can work together to form an OHT in their geographic area. After the Ministry’s review of the 157 self-assessments submitted from across the province, 31 teams have been invited to submit a full application and 43 teams have been invited to continue developing their self-assessments in order to move to a full application in the future (‘in development’).
The Niagara Ontario Health Team - Équipe Santé Ontario Niagara
The Niagara Ontario Health Team - Équipe Santé Ontario Niagara (NOHT-ESON), was one of the 31 teams invited to move forward to submit a full application.
On October 9, 2019 the Niagara Ontario Health Team - Équipe Santé Ontario Niagara (NOHT-ESON), composed of over 44 participants from a broad range of health care, the community support sector and social services – which included 60 Primary Care Physicians, as well as patients/clients, families and caregivers, submitted the full application to the Ministry of Health.
NOHT-ESON Full Application Partner Organizations
Members and Collaborators
- Alzheimer Society of Niagara Region
- ARID Group Homes (Niagara) Inc.
- Benevolent Society Heidehof for the Care of the Aged
- Brain Injury Community Re-Entry (Niagara) Inc.
- Bridges Community Health Centre Corporation
- Brock University – Faculty of Health Sciences
- Canadian Mental Health Association – Niagara Branch
- Centre de santé communautaire Hamilton Niagara Inc.
- Community Addiction Services of Niagara
- Community Support Services of the Niagara Region
- Consumer/Survivor Initiative of Niagara
- Contact Niagara for Children's and Developmental Services and Provincial Co-ordinator of the ICR Process for the Ontario Autism Program
- Entité2 de planification des services de santé
- Falls Family Health Organization (1 physician)
- Fort Erie Meals on Wheels
- Foyer Richelieu Welland
- Garden City Family Health Network
- Gateway Residential and Community Support Services of Niagara Inc.
- Hamilton Niagara Haldimand Brant Local Health Integration Network
- Hospice Niagara
- Hotel Dieu Shaver Health and Rehabilitation Centre
- Mapleview Medical Clinic Family Health Organization
- March of Dimes Canada – Niagara
- McMaster University – Niagara Regional Campus, Michael G. DeGroote School of Medicine
- Meals on Wheels Niagara Falls Ont. Inc.
- Meals on Wheels Port Colborne Inc.
- Niagara College – Faculty of Community and Health Studies
- Niagara Falls Community Health Centre
- Niagara Health
- Niagara Ina Grafton Gage Village
- Niagara Medical Group Family Health Organization
- Niagara Medical Group Family Health Team
- Niagara North Family Health Team
- Niagara on the Lake Family Health Network
- Oak Centre Alternative Community Support
- Pathstone Mental Health
- Portage Medical Group Family Health Organization
- Portage Medical Family Health Team
- Positive Living Niagara
- Quest Community Health Centre
- Radiant Care: Mennonite Brethren Senior Citizens Home - Tabor Manor and Pleasant Manor Retirement Village
- The Regional Municipality of Niagara
- The Wayside House of St. Catharines
- United Mennonite Home for the Aged