The Canadian Institute for Health Information (CIHI) Your Health System report shows that Niagara Health is performing better than the Canadian average for:
- Low-risk C-sections and obstetrical trauma (with instruments) - “Top performer” nationwide among large community hospitals (in the top 10 per cent for the last three consecutive years)
- Hospital Standardized Mortality Ratio (HSMR)
- Readmissions to hospital for all patient types (medical, surgical, obstetrical and pediatrics)
- Cost of average hospital stay
- Worsened physical functioning in long-term care
- Worsened depressive mood in long-term care
Niagara Health is also better than the Ontario and LHIN averages for administrative efficiency, for expenses in departments like finance, human resources, communications and administration
Niagara Health showed a stable performance in line with the Canadian, LHIN or Ontario averages in the following areas:
- Emergency Department wait times for physical initial assessment.
- Hip fracture surgeries within 48 hours
- Hospital deaths following a major surgery
“Our teams work very hard to provide extraordinary care to our patients and families, and I’m pleased to see we are making progress towards our vision of a healthier Niagara,” said Niagara Health President Suzanne Johnston
“Measuring our performance helps identify areas where we are doing well, and areas where we can improve to enhance care. It also helps the public better understand how we are performing compared to other hospitals across Canada."
To see the detailed CIHI report, visit yourhealthsystem.cihi.ca.