Cancer Care / Oncology
Oncology Department WFCC
On Call Oncologist
Cancer Care Ontario
is looking for patient and family advisors to help build the best cancer system in the world.
Click here for more information.
Walker Family Cancer Centre
The Walker Family Cancer Centre builds on more than a quarter century of quality care and treatment of cancer patients in Niagara, providing cancer services to patients in the region.
The 67,000-square-foot cancer centre is introducing new radiation therapy services to Niagara, enabling many patients who currently travel to Hamilton or Toronto to receive the life-saving treatment in the region. Chemotherapy treatment, which was formerly available to Niagara cancer patients at St. Catharines General Hospital is now offered at the Walker Family Cancer Centre.
Bringing much-needed radiation services to Niagara will reduce the need for many patients to leave the region for care. However, in some instances, patients like those requiring complex, specialized cancer care will continue to go to Hamilton for services, particularly during the first year of operation as the services ramp up. Our main priority will always be safe, quality care.
The new facility has been built to accommodate growth. It will allow us the flexibility to meet the changing needs of the community as time passes.In addition to the services and treatment provided at the Walker Family Cancer Centre, clinics will continue to be held in Welland and Niagara Falls for new patient and follow-up visits.
Highlights of the Walker Family Cancer Centre include:
- 67,000 square feet in which to provide quality, patient-centred care that enhances the treatment and quality of life for cancer patients and their families in the Niagara region
- Radiation treatment suites
- 37 chemotherapy infusion bays and chairs
- 3 specialized infusion rooms for patients who require isolation for infection prevention and control purposes
- Floor to ceiling windows in the chemotherapy treatment area; a home-like welcoming environment.
- A healing garden and many green features
Services provided at the Walker Family Cancer Centre:
- Radiation Therapy
- Outpatient Clinics
- Supportive Care
- Clinical Trials
- Clinical Staff Offices
- Oncology Pharmacy
- Surgical consultation
- Diagnostic Lung Assessment Program
- Palliative Care
- Smoking Cessation
Outpatient Oncology Clinic
Located in the Walker Family Cancer Centre at the new St. Catharines Site, the Outpatient Oncology Clinic provides services including consultation, diagnostic procedures, education, support, chemotherapy treatment and follow-up for the vast majority of cancer patients.
Patient-centred care is provided by an interprofessional team of medical oncologists, specialized nurses, and a consulting radiation oncologists working collaboratively with the social worker, nutritionist, pharmacists, and others to support patients through the delivery of their personalized treatment program. The Oncology program has a longstanding relationship with Cancer Care Ontario (CCO) and the Hamilton Health Sciences’ Juravinski Cancer Centre (JCC). A coordinated, supportive relationship with CCO and the JCC ensures comprehensive, integrated cancer services are available for the people of Niagara.
The program works hand-in-hand with several other community and system partners including:
- Ontario Breast Screening Program
- Hamilton Niagara Haldimand Brant Community Care Access Centre
- Canadian Cancer Society, Niagara Unit
- Hospice Niagara
- Daval Hospice
- McNally Hospice
- Wellspring Niagara
- Hamilton Niagara Haldimand Brant Community Hospice Palliative Care Network
- Hotel Dieu Shaver Health and Rehabilitation Centre
- Clinical trials organizations such as National Cancer institute of Canada
- Rose Cottage Visiting Volunteers (Grimsby & West Lincoln area)
The NHS also provides satellite clinics at the Greater Niagara General (GNG) and Welland Hospital (WHS) Sites where consultation, follow-up and supportive care is provided to outpatients and inpatients promoting care as close to home as possible