Cancer Care / Oncology
Oncology Department WFCC
On Call Oncologist
Walker Family Cancer Centre Patient and Family Advisory Council (PFAC)
For more information or to get involved click here
Walker Family Cancer Centre
The Walker Family Cancer Centre is built on more than a quarter century of quality care and treatment provided to cancer patients in the Niagara Region by our dedicated team.
We are located on the 1st and 2nd floors of the Walker tower with an entrance next to the main entrance of the NHS St. Catharines Site. For more information about our services click on the links below:
The NHS also provides satellite clinics at the Greater Niagara General (GNG) and Welland Hospital (WHS) Sites where consultation, follow-up and supportive care is provided to outpatients and inpatients promoting care as close to home as possible.
Highlights of our centre include:
- 67,000 square feet in which to provide quality patient-centred care, enhancing the treatment and quality of life for cancer patients and their families
- State of the art radiation treatment suites
- Chemotherapy treatment area with floor to ceiling windows and a welcoming home-like environment
- Specialized infusion rooms for patients who require isolation for infection prevention and control purposes
- A healing garden and many green features
Patients are our focus
Patient and Family Advisory Councils from local to regional to provincial levels provide us with the ability to work together with our patients and families to provide the best patient experience possible.
Journeys with compassion
Patient-centred care is provided by a team of medical oncologists, radiation oncologists, specialized nurses, social workers, dietitian, pharmacists and others. Our interdisciplinary team makes sure patients’ physical and emotional needs are met through the delivery of their personalized treatment program.
Pathways to excellence
Our program has a longstanding relationship with Cancer Care Ontario (CCO) and the Hamilton Health Sciences’ Juravinski Cancer Centre (JCC). A coordinated, supportive relationship with CCO and JCC ensures comprehensive, integrated cancer services are available close to home for the people of Niagara.
The program works hand-in-hand with several other community and system partners including:
- Ontario Breast Screening Program
- Hamilton Niagara Haldimand Brant Community Care Access Centre
- Canadian Cancer Society, Niagara Unit
- Hospice Niagara
- Daval Hospice
- McNally Hospice
- Wellspring Niagara
- Hamilton Niagara Haldimand Brant Community Hospice Palliative Care Network
- Hotel Dieu Shaver Health and Rehabilitation Centre
- Clinical trials organizations such as National Cancer institute of Canada
- Rose Cottage Visiting Volunteers (Grimsby & West Lincoln area)