The Niagara Health System is thankful for the special partnerships formed with more than 1,100 community members, our Hospital Volunteers and Auxiliary Members. They contribute the highest quality of care for our patients through their hard work, compassion and dedication.
The services and programs Volunteers provide are an invaluable support that complements the work of our staff. Our Volunteers are a diverse group; they range in age from 14 to 96 and come from all walks of life. Volunteers choose to share skills, abilities, experience and talent to benefit their communities. Through service, they learn new skills, make new friends, explore career options, network, and remain actively engaged in the community during the golden years of retirement.
The TYPES of Volunteer Positions available at any one or more of the NHS Sites include:
- Patient and Family Care
- Auxiliary Membership
- Fundraising and Retail
- Information and Customer Service
Commitment: Most Volunteer positions require commitment to a weekly shift for a minimum of one year.
Interested in joining our team?
Complete and submit the application (above) along with your resume to Julie deRuiter, VR Recruiter.
Please select the statement below that best applies to you:
- If your post-secondary scholastic program mandates a placement please click here
- If you are interested in the Secondary School Co-op Program please speak to your school co-op Teacher or Guidance Counsellor about applying through the Central Placement Office
- If you are interested in a Volunteer Placement during the School Year please note the Deadline for Applications is July 15
- If you are interested in a Volunteer Placement during the Summer please note the Deadline for Applications is April 1
- If you are interested in completing Community Service Hours required for high school graduation please note that the NHS has minimum time commitments required for volunteers which exceed the requirements for community service hours. If you are interested in volunteering more time than required by your school please see the links above for placements during the school year and summer.
Volunteer Resources is committed to creating a safe and secure environment for our patients and their families. To achieve this goal, we utilize standardized screening that aims to successfully match an applicant’s skills and interests with the requirements of available positions. Volunteers must be 14 years of age or older.
- Application Form
- Reference Checks
- Medical Screening (Communicable Disease Surveillance Program)
- Position-Specific Training
- Probationary Period
- While we thank all applicants, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted by Volunteer Resources
- Applicants are accepted as Hospital Volunteers based on the successful completion of the screening process and the availability of a position that matches the applicants knowledge, skills, abilities and interests
- The process to become a volunteer has several steps all of which take time. Each step is crucial to ensure we best serve patients, staff and potential volunteers.
We look for:
- People whose personal values complement the values of our organization: Compassion, Professionalism and Respect.
- Individuals who have the desire to help others; who are positive, caring, and sensitive to the needs of others.
- Community members who are committed, self-motivated, energetic and customer-service oriented.
905-378-4647 ext 44205
1200 Fourth Ave
St. Catharines, ON