Niagara Health is joining in the celebration of Doctors’ Day on May 1, saluting our more than 600 physicians who work tirelessly for patients and families.
“On behalf of the entire Niagara Health team, I want to thank our caring and compassionate doctors for dedicating themselves every day to saving lives and making a positive impact on all of our patients and their families,” says Dr. Tom Stewart, Niagara Health Chief of Staff and Executive Vice President Medical.
Dr. Parminder Brar, President of the Niagara Health Medical Staff Association, says Doctors’ Day provides a unique opportunity to raise awareness about the contributions made by physicians across Niagara. “We also want to thank all of our doctors who retired in the last year and celebrate the incredible impact they have had on our patients and their families.”
Niagara Health President Dr. Suzanne Johnston adds: “We appreciate the dedication and commitment of all our doctors at Niagara Health as they work within multidisciplinary teams to improve the lives of our patients and their loved ones.”
VIDEO: We asked our physicians what's the best part of being a physician.
On May 2, physicians from all across Niagara will gather at the DoubleTree Fallsview Resort to officially celebrate Doctors’ Day.
Doctors’ Day is celebrated across the province each May 1 to recognize Ontario’s 28,000 doctors and their commitment to improving the health of all patients. May 1 was chosen to mark the birthday of Dr. Emily Stowe - Canada’s first female physician and founder of the woman’s movement in this country.
Every day, more than 320,000 patients across Ontario are treated and cared for by doctors who are working together to provide high-quality care. At Niagara Health, our doctors demonstrate our purpose; extraordinary caring, every person, every time.
Doctors’ Day also provides an opportunity to welcome our new physicians and celebrate our doctors who have taken on new leadership roles over the past year.
There have been 27 physician recruitments at Niagara Health over the past year. They include:
- Dr. Bahareh,Ghadaki, Infectious Diseases
- Dr. Ziyaad Al-Khateeb, Geriatric Medicine
- Dr. Mithula Tharmabala, Oncology
- Dr. Suneel Upadhye, Emergency Medicine
- Dr. Mary Salib, Oncology
- Dr. Reza Salarinejad, Hospitalist
- Dr. Ahmed Farrag, Emergency Medicine
- Dr. Shiba Asim, Pediatrics
- Dr. Michael Mitar, Respirology
- Dr. Jaspreet Toor, Pathology
- Dr. Katrin Conen, Palliative Care
- Dr. Katherine Pratte, General Internal Medicine
- Dr. Oliver Shaw, Emergency Medicine
- Dr. Adrian Ishkanian, Oncology
- Dr. Neel Malhotra, Gastroenterology
- Dr. Anna Czyrny, Emergency Medicine
- Dr. Mahsa Rezaei Nejad, General Internal Medicine
- Dr. Mahmood Albahhar, Radiology
- Dr. Catherine Krasnik, Psychiatry
- Dr. David Cuthbert, Oncology
- Dr. Sarit Khimdas, Ophthalmology
- Dr. Natalia Pinilla Echeverri, Cardiology
- Dr. Arvind Shergill, Radiology
- Dr. Sriharsha Athreya, Radiology
- Dr. John Hanna, Radiology
- Dr. Taha Bandukwala, Radiology
- Dr. Mark Dilauro, Radiology
Niagara Health physicians who have moved into new leadership positions over the past year:
- Dr. Abhi Hallock, Radiation Oncology Lead
- Dr. Krystyna Samoraj, Science & Quality Lead, Emergency Medicine
- Dr. Lorraine Jensen, General Internal Medicine Lead, St. Catharines Site
- Dr. Michael Levesque, Systemic Oncology Lead
- Dr. Edmond Chau, Anesthesia Lead, Welland Site
- Dr. David Lagrotteria, Anesthesia Lead, St. Catharines Site
- Dr. David Heywood, ED Recruitment Lead
- Dr. Han-Oh Chung, Niagara Health Academic Lead, Niagara Regional Campus
- Dr. Danny Lagrotteria, Nephrology Head of Service