Niagara Health is honouring the dedication, commitment and compassion of our physicians by celebrating Doctors’ Day on May 1. Our more than 500 doctors make a meaningful difference each day in the lives of our patients and their families.
"It gives me great pleasure to say a sincere thank you for the extraordinary caring our physicians provide to our patients and our community,” says Dr. Johan Viljoen, Niagara Health’s Interim Chief of Staff and Executive Vice President Medical. "We are very grateful for their commitment to providing the highest standards of care."
Dr. Parminder Brar, President of the Niagara Health Medical Staff Association, adds: "We would also like to thank all of our physicians who retired over the last year for their exceptional years of service and strong commitment to improving the health of our communities."
Niagara Health President Suzanne Johnston says Doctors’ Day is a great opportunity to recognize the talent and accomplishments of physicians.
"We appreciate the contributions of our physicians who work together with other members of our multidisciplinary team to make a significant impact in the lives of the people we serve," she says.
Doctors’ Day also provides an opportunity to welcome our new physicians and celebrate our doctors who have taken on new leadership roles over the past year.
There have been 34 physician recruitments at Niagara Health over the past year, including Dr. Kathleen Quinn, who joined the Kidney Care Program as a Nephrologist in January.
Dr. Quinn, who is from Fonthill, says she is excited to work in an organization that has had strong success in physician recruitment.
"There are a lot of new specialists who have come on who are enthusiastic about their work. And the collaborative atmosphere that we have here between services is one of the huge draws of joining Niagara Health."
Here are Niagara Health’s physician recruitments over the past year:
- Dr. Abdullah Alamer, Oncologist (Malignant Benign Hematologist)
- Dr. Raed Al-Dabbagh, Gastroenterologist
- Dr. Emily Baker, Obstetrician & Gynecologist
- Dr. Alicia Bronicheski, Emergency Medicine Mentorship
- Dr. Gabriel Chan, Emergency Medicine
- Dr. Winnie Chan, Cardiologist
- Dr. Hiba Chehade, Emergency Medicine
- Dr. David Dudok, Ophthalmologist
- Dr. Kevin Finner, Emergency Medicine
- Dr. Alexander Freytag, Anesthesiologist
- Dr. Prateek Goyal, Orthopedic Surgeon
- Dr. James Heywood, Emergency Medicine
- Dr. Adam Katchky, Orthopedic Surgeon
- Dr. Ekta Khemani, Anesthesiologist
- Dr. Joyce Lam, Intensivist
- Dr. Raymond Lawlor, Interventional Radiologist
- Dr. Heather MacDonald, Obstetrician & Gynecologist
- Dr. Andre Maddison, General Internist
- Dr. Alicia Mattia, Neurologist
- Dr. Gavin Mazzetti, General Internist
- Dr. Robert McCloy, III Orthopedic Surgeon
- Dr. Christopher McLaughlin, Ophthalmologist
- Dr. Uthra Mohan, Obstetrician & Gynecologist
- Dr. Stephanie Paolone, General Internist
- Dr. Je Woo Park, Body Radiologist
- Dr. Cameron Phillips, Medical Oncologist
- Dr. Justin Powers, Emergency Medicine
- Dr. Kathleen Quinn, Nephrologist
- Dr. Amit Raut, General Internist
- Dr. Mohamad Salkeni, Hematologist
- Dr. Sachin Sarin, Psychiatrist
- Dr. Roveena Sequeira, Emergency Medicine
- Dr. Benjamin Tam, Intensivist
- Dr. Britton Tisdale, Urologist
Niagara Health physicians who have moved into new leadership positions over the past year:
- Dr. Ian Brown, Chief of Surgery
- Dr. Satish Chawla, Chief of Pathology
- Dr. Matthew Gunton, Head of Service, Surgery WHS
- Dr. Shlok Gupta, Clinical Utilization Lead
- Dr. Maxine Lewis, Chief of Mental Health and Addictions
- Dr. Amit Mehta, Deputy Chief Diagnostic Imaging
Highest honour for Dr. Dobranowski
Dr. Julian Dobranowski, our Chief of Diagnostic Imaging, recently received one of the highest honours his profession can bestow, being named a Fellow of the Canadian Association of Radiologists. Dr. Dobranowski was selected by virtue of his achievements in medical and radiology associations, volunteer community and humanitarian work at home and abroad, contributions to teaching and training future generations of radiologists, his career in science and research, and his clinical contributions to radiology.
About Doctors’ Day
Doctors’ Day is celebrated across the province each May 1 to recognize Ontario’s 29,000 doctors and their commitment to improving the health of all patients. May 1 was chosen to mark the birthday of Dr. Emily Stowe – Canada’s first female physician and founder of the women’s movement in this country. Every day, more than 320,000 patients across Ontario are treated and cared for by doctors who are working together to provide high-quality care. At Niagara Health, our doctors demonstrate our purpose; extraordinary caring, every person, every time.
Physicians honoured at Doctors' Day event
On Wednesday, May 1, Niagara Health physicians gathered in St. Catharines to celebrate their day. At the event, our Medical Staff Association handed out its annual awards. Here are the recipients:
Dr. Elijah Rabin - Niagara Region Specialist Physician Merit Award
Dr. Deborah Wilkes-Whitehall - Niagara Region Family Physician Merit Award
Dr. Roger Rose – Niagara Region Physician Distinguished Service Award