Niagara Region Public Health & Emergency Services is investigating a laboratory confirmed case of measles in an adult who acquired their infection while travelling outside Canada.
Any person who visited the following public locations are being asked to watch for signs and symptoms and to ensure their vaccination is up to date as they may have been exposed to measles
Airline exposure locations on April 28:
- Departing direct flight, Philippine Airlines in Manila Philippines, Flight #PR118 at 4:55 p.m.
- Arriving flight, Toronto Pearson International Airport, Terminal 3 between the hours of 8 – 11 p.m.
Exposure location on May 1:
- Eastern Chinese Restaurant, 1 Stone Mason Drive, Markham, between the hours of 5 – 7:30 p.m.
Exposure location on May 2:
- Petro-Canada Convenience Store, 9249 Ninth Line, Markham between the hours of 9 – 11 p.m.
Exposure location on May 3:
- Niagara Health Welland Site, 65 Third Street, Welland, Emergency Department between the hours of 7 p.m. – 3:30 a.m.
The hospital is collaborating with Public Health to ensure anyone who may have been exposed at the Welland Emergency Department is identified and contacted directly as a precautionary measure.
If you think you may have measles and need to see a doctor, you must call ahead to the doctor’s office, walk-in clinic, or emergency department. This will allow health care staff to manage your care appropriately.
Measles starts with cough, runny nose, red watery eyes, and fever. After about four days a rash begins on the face and moves down the body. There may be white spots inside the mouth.
Measles easily spreads from person to person, Public Health is urging all residents to have their vaccination up to date. For more information about measles or to find a Public Health clinic, please visit www.niagararegion.ca/health.
All persons born after 1970 are recommended to have two doses of measles vaccine. Everyone is encouraged to double check their vaccination records and seek vaccine if not already vaccinated.
Niagara Region Public Health and Emergency Services
905-688-8248 ext. 7476, firstname.lastname@example.org