The first of two COVID-19 assessment centres planned for the region opens today.
The centre, located behind the Greater Niagara General Site in Niagara Falls, will provide screening, assessment and testing for individuals with symptoms of COVID-19. The Assessment Centre will be available by referral only.
Community members who believe they have been exposed to COVID-19 should contact Public Health by calling 905-688-8248 ext. 7019 or toll free at 1-888-505-6074. On the call, patients will be screened for both travel history and symptoms. Based on the initial assessment, patients may be:
- directed to self –monitor;
- directed to self-isolate at home;
- referred to the Assessment Centre (staff will contact referred patients to arrange an appointment) or;
- recommended to go to the nearest Emergency Department.
The COVID-19 assessment centre will open at 1 p.m. today and will be available by referral from Public Health. The Allied Health building is located at 5673 North Street in Niagara Falls.
The centre is unable to accept walk-ins. Anyone requiring emergency care should call 911 or visit the nearest Niagara Health Emergency Department.
The second COVID-19 Assessment Centre is expected to open in St. Catharines next week. Further details will be shared as soon as they are available.
“The Assessment Centre is an important aspect of our response to COVID-19. The centres will ensure potential cases are seen promptly and help reduce impact on the Emergency Department,” said Derek McNally, Executive Vice President, Clinical Services & Chief Nursing Executive for Niagara Health. “The Niagara Falls centre is adjacent to the hospital which helps protect our most vulnerable patients in the Emergency Department by reducing the potential for exposure to those with symptoms of COVID-19.”
Anyone who believes they have been exposed to COVID-19 can contact Public Health at 905-688-8248 ext. 7019 or toll free at 1-888-505-6074 for an initial screening.
The Government of Ontario has created a COVID-19 self-assessment tool, available here.
The assessment centre is available by appointment only.
Symptoms of COVID-19 include:
- New or worsening cough
- Difficulty breathing
There are simple steps people can take to reduce their risk of infection, such as:
- Regular hand cleaning
- Avoiding large gatherings
- Practicing social distancing by maintaining a two-metre distance from others
- Staying home if you are sick
- Niagara Health Frequently Asked Questions about COVID-19
- Niagara Region Public Health
- Public Health Agency of Canada information on Coronaviruses
- Government of Ontario - Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCOv)
- Latest travel advice
- Tips to stay healthy and prevent the spread of illness
Please check back regularly for updates related to the hospital’s COVID-19 response.