An outbreak of COVID-19 has been declared on the Sixth Floor at Niagara Health’s Welland Site.
The outbreak was called after four patient-related cases of COVID-19 were deemed to be healthcare-associated.
Niagara Health’s Infection Prevention and Control experts are monitoring this situation closely.
We have taken immediate steps to ensure the safety of our patients, staff and physicians, including:
- Placement of all patients on the unit and contacts under droplet/contact precautions;
- Closure of the unit to new admissions or transfers unless medically necessary;
- Enhanced cleaning and disinfection of the environment and patient care equipment;
- Contact tracing of impacted patients, staff and visitors (if applicable) with appropriate follow up is ongoing.
- Essential Care Partners are not permitted on the unit.
The protection of our staff, physicians and patients remains our top priority and we are working diligently to bring a safe and timely end to this outbreak.
COVID-19 outbreaks reinforce the highly contagious nature of this virus and the need for everyone to follow public health measures. This includes masking, physical distancing, handwashing, and having contact with members of your household only– these measures work.