Niagara Health in partnership with Infrastructure Ontario have shortlisted three prequalified teams to design, build, finance and maintain the South Niagara hospital project.
Teams were prequalified based on criteria identified in a request for qualifications process that began in February 2021. Selection criteria included design and construction capability, experience, qualified personnel and financial capacity to undertake a project of this size and scope. The prequalified teams and their prime team members are:
EllisDon Infrastructure Healthcare (EDIH)
- Applicant Lead: EllisDon Corporation
- Design Team: Parkin Architects Limited
- Construction Team: EllisDon Corporation
- Facilities Management: EllisDon Facilities Services
- Financial Advisor: EllisDon Capital Inc.
Niagara Care Partners
- Applicant Leads: Amico Concessions Inc, Sacyr Concesiones, S.l., and SNC-Lavalin Capital Inc.
- Design Team: IBI Group Architects (Canada) Inc.
- Construction Team: Sacyr Construccion, S.A and Amico Design Build Inc.
- Facilities Management: Sacyr Concesiones, S.L, SNS-Lavalin O&M Inc, and Amico Concessions Inc.
- Financial Advisor: MUFG Bank Ltd
Plenary PCL Niagara Health
- Applicant Leads: Plenary Americas LP and PCL Investments Inc.
- Design Team: Cannon Design Ltd.Construction Team: PCL Constructors Canada Inc.
- Facilities Management: Johnson Controls Canada L.P
- Financial Advisor: Plenary Americas LP
The shortlisted bidders will be invited to respond to a request for proposals, expected to be issued later this year. Once submissions are received, Infrastructure Ontario and Niagara Health will evaluate the proposals, select a preferred team and then negotiate a final contract. The successful team is expected to be announced in late 2022. A fairness monitor will oversee the entire procurement process.
The new South Niagara Site will include:
- 24/7 Emergency department, diagnostic, therapeutic, and surgical services; as well as medical, surgical and intensive care inpatient beds;
- Ambulatory Services as well as post-acute Complex Continuing Care (CCC) Inpatient services;
- Centres of Excellence specializing in stroke, complex care, geriatric/geriatric psychiatry and wellness in aging.
- Designed with the next age of innovation in mind, the South Niagara Site will seamlessly integrate technology that supports high quality healthcare, where technology recedes into the background so patients can focus on recovering and healing.
- The new hospital will be designed and built to meet the Canada Green Building Council's Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Silver standards.
- The project is working towards becoming the first WELL® certified healthcare facility in Canada, focused on the health and well-being of their staff, physicians, volunteers, patients, families and caregivers and the Niagara community.
Infrastructure Ontario is pleased to partner with Niagara Health to deliver a new hospital to the Niagara region using the P3 model. Having a new facility — one that aims to be Canada’s first WELL-certified® healthcare facility — will help transform the health care experience and quality of care for residents, filling a much-needed infrastructure deficit in the region and benefiting the community for generations to come.
Michael Lindsay, President and CEO, Infrastructure Ontario
“Together with Infrastructure Ontario, we are encouraged that the RFQ generated interest from leading private-sector teams who qualify to bring our new hospital to fruition. We look forward to seeing the full proposals from the shortlisted teams, our final step before getting shovels in the ground.”
Bunny Alexander, Board Chair, Niagara Health
“We are yet again marking a significant milestone for the South Niagara Site. Amidst the pandemic, our staff, physicians and the Niagara community have come together and dedicated their time to provide their input and feedback to ensure we continue to meet our schedule and deliver a world-class facility deserving of our residents.”
Lynn Guerriero, President and Interim CEO, Niagara Health
All levels of government have been supportive and committed to working closely with Niagara Health to ensure this project is top priority. As we progress into the RFP stage, there will be more opportunities for input and feedback into the design. My sincere thanks to those that have put so much work to getting us to another major milestone.”
Angela Zangari, EVP Finance, Redevelopment and Support Services, Chief Financial Officer, Niagara Health
- The South Niagara hospital project continues to move through the Ministry of Health’s five-stage planning process for building a new health infrastructure in Ontario.
- The project will be delivered as a P3 (Public-Private Partnership) model. Find out more about P3s here.
- For more information on the South Niagara Project click here.
- For more information on Infrastructure Ontario click here.
- Read the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) here..