EllisDon Infrastructure Healthcare has issued the public notice below regarding deep foundation work that will be taking place for the South Niagara Hospital project. Contractors will be driving steel piles into the bedrock to provide the structural support needed for the building foundation. This work is expected to take approximately three months, beginning October 16, 2023 through to the end of January 2024.
The South Niagara Hospital will be located in Niagara Falls, at the corner of Montrose and Biggar roads. Although increased noise levels may be heard by neighbouring homes, businesses and those passing through the area, decibel levels will not require hearing protection outside of the property line. It is also not anticipated that vibrations will be felt outside of the property given the location of the work within the site.
Construction began earlier this summer on the 1.3-million-square-foot hospital, which is expected to take approximately five years to build. The City of Niagara Falls and the Niagara Region began stage one roadwork reconstruction in the area surrounding the hospital site earlier this spring, which is expected to continue until summer 2024.
PUBLIC NOTICE - Deep Foundation Work
South Niagara Hospital Project
Date Issued: October 16, 2023
WHAT ARE WE DOING?
- Driving steel piles to the underlying bedrock for the building foundations.
- The native soil does not have sufficient capacity for the building loads.
- To provide the required structural support, we will extend steel piles to the underlying bedrock.
- This construction activity is expected to last for approximately three months beginning the week of October 16, 2023 to January 31, 2024.
*Please note: all dates are estimates and subject to change. Due to the nature of the work, unforeseen impacts or inclement weather could result in the postponement of work. Updates will be provided should this occur.
- Our contractor’s normal working hours are from Monday to Saturday 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. These hours are consistent with the local municipality’s bylaws.
- Work will primarily take place Monday to Friday, with Saturdays deemed as a recovery day, as needed.
- We understand this may cause some inconvenience, but shorter working weeks would mean the project would take longer to complete.
- You may hear increased noise levels as a result of the construction activity; however, decibel levels will not require hearing protection for areas outside the property line.
- We do not anticipate vibrations will extend outside of the property line given the location of the work within the site boundary.
ADDITIONAL PROJECT UPDATES
- The project team will advise if there are any major changes to the plans.
WHO CAN YOU CALL?
- If you have any questions or concerns, please contact EllisDon Superintendents, Manny Bairos at (416) 891-9788 or Robin Jervis at (416) 262-9606.