Niagara ON: A Flu Assessment Centre opens to the public beginning Monday, November 2nd, from 2 p.m. to 8 p.m., at the Ontario Street Site, 155 Ontario Street, St. Catharines.
At the Flu Assessment Centre, the public will have access to influenza screening services in light of the increased demand for flu screening at the NHS Emergency Departments and Urgent Care Centres.
Healthcare staff at the centre will:
- Assess individuals for influenza.
- Dispense and/or prescribe oseltamivir [tamiflu] in accordance with clinical guidelines for H1N1 and appropriate Medical Directives.
- Educate patients and provide supportive care strategies to ease symptoms.
- Refer individuals to the appropriate provider/location for appropriate follow-up and care if/as required.
- Overnight treatment/stays or advanced assessment/treatment procedures will not be performed in the Flu Assessment Centre nor will vaccines be provided.
Open to the public 2 p.m. to 8 p.m. Monday to Friday;
Open 12 noon to 6 p.m. on Saturdays and Sundays.
No referrals are necessary.
This Assessment Centre is for people with mild symptoms of flu. For serious cases, we are asking the public to go to their nearest ER or call 911.
For more information on this news release, please contact:
Caroline Bourque Wiley
Consultant, Public Affairs
905-378-4647, ext. 43113