Services available in the community
If you or a loved one is experiencing a mental health or addictions crisis, there are a number of services available to assist you in the Niagara region. Examples of crisis situations include:
- Relationship/family issues
- Housing problems
- Occupational issues
- Financial issues
- Bereavement and grief reactions
- Substance and alcohol use
Canadian Mental Health Association (CMHA) Safe Bed Program
The Safe Bed Program provides 24/7 short-term residential crisis support for individuals age 16 or older who are experiencing a mental health crisis.
The Program offers crisis counseling and a safe therapeutic environment for men and women to stay for a short term as an alternative to hospitalization.
Program staff work with individuals to resolve their crises and link them with available supports in the community.
Referrals can be made by any professionals with a working knowledge of the individual’s current situation and relevant history. The referral form can be found on our website at the following link HERE
For individuals wishing to self refer, please call the Mental Health and Addictions Access Line at 1-866-550-5205
Location: 15 Wellington Street, St Catharines, ON, L2R 5P7
Call 905-641-2222 for more information on the Safe Bed Program or any other CMHA Programs and Services
COAST (Crisis Outreach and Support Team) Niagara
- Provides 24/7 crisis line services.
- Mental health professionals work as a team in partnership with police officers who are specially trained to work with individuals with mental health and addictions issues who are in crisis.
- Initial information is collected over the telephone, if needed the mobile crisis team will assess the individual experiencing the mental health crisis, in his/her community. If the crisis situation can be managed over the telephone, COAST will work with the individual/agency/family member to build a safety plan with/for the individual.
- Referral to appropriate follow-up services may be recommended.
- COAST provides services to individuals, 16 and over, who live in the Niagara Region and are in crisis and have a mental health concern.
- COAST works in partnership with the Behavioural Supports Ontario (BSO) Crisis Outreach Team (COT). BSO COT assists older adults with responsive behaviours associated with cognitive impairment due to dementia, complex mental health, addictions or other neurological conditions.
Call toll free: 1-866-550-5205
Community Addiction Services of Niagara (CASON)
- Same day services available. For more information please contact 905-684-1183
- Services are designed to help individuals and their relatives/significant others with alcohol, drug and gambling problems to obtain effective treatment.
- Services include assessment, individualized treatment planning, referrals to appropriate resources, counseling, intensive four week day treatment program, supportive housing and treatment aftercare groups
Location 60 James Street, Suite 401, St. Catharines, ON, L2R 7E7
Distress Centre Niagara
- Provides 24/7 free, confidential telephone crisis support and intervention for anyone in the Niagara Region.
- St. Catharines, Niagara Falls and Area: 905-688-3711
- Port Colborne, Wainfleet and Area: 905-734-1212
- Fort Erie and Area: 905-382-0689
- Grimsby, West Lincoln: 905-563-6674
Oak Centre is a psychosocial rehabilitation program following the clubhouse approach for people with serious and ongoing mental health issues. Offering comprehensive support including employment, education, housing, crisis, etc. and meaningful daytime and weekend activities.
Services are available for individuals 16 years of age and older.
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Wednesday 8:30 a.m. to 8 p.m.
3rd Saturday of the month 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Location: 24 Dorothy St., Welland, ON L3B 3V7.
Satellite clubhouse in Port Colborne: the Lake House, 168 Catharine Street, Port Colborne, ON L3K 4K6. Telephone 905-834-4300.
Kids’ Help Phone
- Kids Help Phone is a free, anonymous and confidential 24/7 phone and on-line professional counseling service for youth.
- Call toll free: 1-800-668-6868
Pathstone Mental Health Crisis Services
- A mobile crisis intervention service providing immediate telephone counseling and, if necessary, on-site crisis intervention in the home, school, hospital, or other community location.
- Services are available 24/7 for children and youth up to the age of 18 and their families.
- Counselors have access to psychiatric and psychologist consultation.
- Information will initially be collected over the phone and an on-site intervention will be organized if assessed as appropriate.
- Call toll free 1-800-263-4944